Len Levy AAF Wins the Leland T. Kintzele Award
Hillcrest Garden is proud to announce that our patriarch, Leonard Levy AAF, has been awarded the Leland T. Kintzele distinguished service award. This award was presented to Leonard this past Thursday, as part of the WF&FSA convention being held at the Trump National Doral in Miami Fla.
This award is the highest honor that a wholesaler can receive. Lenny accomplished several important things in his career that the nomination committee took into account when they decided to honor him:
1) He was an early pioneer among wholesale florists as far as skipping Miami brokers, and dealing directly with South American growers. This started in earnest in the early 1980s and has continued to present day.
2) He formed a buying group, International Floral Distributors, which is made up of 18 wholesale florists scattered in non-competing markets throughout the US. International Floral Distributors or IFD for short, has accomplished great things, such producing an annual hardgoods catalog, and the popular annual Floral Trends Forecast.
3) Len also helped form and lead the local Bergen/Passaic Florists Association for many years in the 1980s.
4) Championed wholesaler causes such as the Blue Ribbon Supplier Program, and Promoflor, and also SAF's Congressional Action Days.
5) Growing up with Flowers was a program where middle school art teachers could obtain donated flowers to teach youngsters about floral arranging, and hopefully infect a new generation of potential customers with an appreciation of flowers.
6) Len also was elected to be president of the Wholesale Florists and Florists Suppliers of American and he served his term in 1995-1996. That period
7) Lenny was inducted into the American Academy of Floriculture (AAF) at the SAF convention in Denver in 1978.
8) Len also received the Dave Mears Distinguished Service Award from International Floral Distributors in 2010, and several awards from AIFD.
The IFD group now has eight of their members that have received this distinguished LTK award. So Len has joined some fine company.
October 30, 2015